The things that you buy are either going to move you towards who you want to be… or become obstacles that you will eventually need to overcome. If you are constantly looking for more space to ‘stuff the stuff’ that you keep buying, you are off track.
Once you are able to let go of things that don’t matter, you are going to be able to focus on what does.
The more stuff you have, the more you are going to need to dedicate time to cleaning, fixing, sorting, moving, worrying, upgrading, and learning about… stuff. You know it’s true.
So… today… you will need to light a candle and pour a glass of your favorite beverage, and simply spend some time meditating on your next shopping trip (or the many previous ones you have been on)… and absorb one or more of these questions:
- What is going to enhance my life?
- Where are you going?
- Who do you want to be?
- Does all my stuff create headache?
- Do I need this stuff?
- Have I really thought about what a ‘bargain’ truly is?
- Why do I think my life is going to be easier if I add this to pile of other stuff that was going to make my life easier?
- Do I ever succumb to the myth that, ‘having this will make me cool?’
- Does all this stuff bring my family together?
- Am I surrounded with all this stuff just to make me feel better?
- If I do the #CutTheCrap Challenge in a year, is this something that I am going to put in my bag?
Now… before you panic… you might want to get one more of your favorite drinks. Rome wasn’t built in a day… and this takes time. Just relax.
Taking some time to think about what you are going to say ‘NO’ to… will help you understand why you are saying ‘YES’ to the functional things in your life that NEED to be there that will help you find your purpose.
One of the ‘tools’ that we keep on the fridge is our Culture of the Home. Take it… own it… change it… make it yours. It keeps us on target during the rest of the year when we aren’t cutting the crap.
Today is a day of meditation. Who be you? Let’s find out. (and whatever you do… don’t go watch an episode of Hoarders to make yourself feel better).
Join us on facebook or twitter to let us know how you are doing… subscribe by filling out the simple form below:
Are you ready?… Let’s do this.