As I set out to write these posts… I had to make some general assumptions about you, the reader. I figure that if you are going to spend your time at this website… perusing these words and ideas… you must have some questions and/or are seeking some understanding about what the Bible is all about.
The Bible is just as much about how to live a spiritual life as it is ideas about God, humanity and creation. I don’t assume that you will necessarily be able to adopt everything that is written here, and that you may not even agree with me along the way… and that is ok.
I have read the whole Bible… and have digested many books, videos and seminars about it. I have many years of schooling that were intentional on understanding what this book means for our lives. Many of the ideas and practices from those tools I have employed for understanding… I have dismissed because I too have not agreed with other peoples take on the Bible.
The influencers that I do keep by my side are few… and I regulary turn to their work for insight and understanding. The three main players still ‘by my side’ in various media of study are Eugene Peterson, NT Wright, and Rob Bell.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss that part any further.
A little about what I may or may not know about why you are still reading… If any of the following ideas resonate with you… then these posts are for you:
- You’ve heard about the Bible and are curious to know more because it is the central text to the Christian religion.
- You see religious wars (whether geographical or ideological) on the news and you want to see what the big fuss is.
- You are familiar with a few stories in the Bible (like Noah’s Ark… Jonah and the Whale… or David and Goliath)… and you’d like to understand more.
- You are a person seeking a spirituality, and you want to know if the Bible can be a part of your journey.
- You are a Christian, but have never been able to find a way to understand what the Bible is meaning to say from cover to cover.
- You attend a church regularly… but still go home feeling like you don’t get it… and are missing something.
- You’ve seen the Indiana Jones movies and wondered why that dudes face melts off near the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- You’ve seen those TV preachers and wondered, ‘What the hell?’
- You’ve wondered if there really is a hell.
The list could go on and on… and one thing that I want to assure you of… is that no matter where you are coming from… no matter your questions or concerns… regardless of where you’ve been… you are welcome to be a part of this discussion.
I’m not going to judge you…
Now… how is this all going to be organized?